GeoGebra: Versatile Maths Software for ALL Platforms, now including Google Chrome

I think I was only an 8 year old third grader when I embraced the lie that “I’m not good at math”. Since then, my natural inclination has been to avoid academic maths whenever possible. I’m pretty sure I’d have been much more engaged, and more successful in my math studies, if I’d had the chance to explore mathematical concepts with the versatile free software shown in this video!

A post here about GeoGebra is long overdue! I’m prompted to write now because this powerful maths application is now available as an add-in for the Google Chrome browser, offering another big reason to consider using Chrome.

GeoGebra is available as a downloadable program for use offline. It is available for Windows, Mac, Linux, and even the XO platform. It runs in some web browsers from an Applet that can be accessed here. Now Geogebra is available as an add-in for Google Chrome. There is no excuse for not making this engaging software available to learners everywhere! There is great support for GeoGebra in terms of both text and video tutorials.

What is GeoGebra? In its own words, “GeoGebra is free dynamic mathematics software for all levels of education that joins geometry, algebra, graphing, and calculus in one easy-to-use package.” Here’s what the user interface looks like, what you see when you open GeoGebra.

There is also an extensive collection of interactive worksheets from GeoGebra–with explanations, tasks and/or questions. These can be embedded on your own site. Or, the worksheets can be downloaded, shared via a URL, sent by email, or shared on social media such as Twitter or Facebook! GeoGebra Tube is an additional add-in for Google Chrome that enables the worksheets to run conveniently in the browser.

[I attempted to embed a couple of interactive worksheets here, but I discovered that the embeds work best when they can open on a larger web page than is available in a single column of this blog.]

I hope I’ve whetted your appetite to find out what GeoGebra might do for you and/or the learners you support. I suspect you know maths teachers or learners who would be very interested. I leave you with another video from Spain, showing the magic of mathematics as explored in GeoGebra.